Thursday, March 1, 2012

What Inspires You?

For me, one of the things at the top of that list is fabric. The way I see it, there are very few things that a good fabric stash can't cure. Boredom, the blues...all gone when you're in the presence of a good stash. Just to look at it is to be inspired. It's hard to pinpoint what attributes inspire me most -- I think it's a combination. Color, texture, pattern, feel and even smell all speak to me of the inherent potential in a pile of cloth. Although I am not really a quilter, quilting cottons are what I use most in my embroidery and sewing projects, so quilt fabric shops are my favorites. A well-stocked quilt shop is like a candy store to me. I'll have a little of this one and a little of that one... In no time, my stash can be filled out so well that projects can be started at any given moment.


I am lucky enough to have a little place in the White Mountains of New Hampshire and had to make my stash "portable". Since most of my projects are pretty small, I cut a fat quarter from many of my fabrics and have them in two plastic totes that I can pop in the back of my car when heading north. That way, I'm ready to go when inspiration strikes. I am lucky, too, that one of the biggest and most popular quilt shops is the USA -- Keepsake Quilting -- is on my route to the mountains. It has become a regular stop coming and going.

I've also made it my mission to find all the independent fabric retailers within driving distance of my house and my little place up north. I found a great shop in Salem New Hampshire -- Pine Tree Quilt Shop -- that has already been added to my "must visit again" list. I'll keep you posted on what else I find.

Happy stitching!!

No comments: