This is a quick-and-easy skirt to make. It is sized for a 9-month-old with a 17" waist. You can customize it to the size you need by determing the waist measurement you need and the length you want and adjusting the main rectangle accordingly. This one is paired with a dollar-store snap-crotch t-shirt with a machine embroidered lady bug applique and neckline bow added to it. A quick and cheap outfit that doesn't look it at all!!
One 7.75” X 35” rectangle of printed cotton for skirt
Two 3” X 35” strips of coordinating printed cotton for ruffle
1/2 yard of 1/2" elastic
- 1: Edge finish all edges of rectangle by serging, pinking, or zig-zag edge-stitching.
- 2: With right sides together, stitch short ends of rectangle together using a ½” seam allowance.
- 3: Press down 1” around top edge and press up ¾” around bottom edge.
- 4: Topstitch bottom edge in place ½” from fold.
- 5: Topstitch around top edge 1/8” from fold. Topstitch again ¾” from fold, forming the casing. Leave 2” unstitched for elastic insertion.
- 6: With right sides together, stitch the ruffle strips together at the short ends, using a ¼” seam allowance.
- 7: Edge-finish both long edges of the ruffle by serging, using a narrow, rolled hem foot on a conventional sewing machine or serger or by pressing the edges into a narrow hem and topstitching.
- 8: Run 2 rows of gathering stitches around the ruffle ¾” from edge. Gather ruffle to same width as hem edge of skirt. Distribute ruffle evenly.
- 9: Place gathering stitches of ruffle on top of topstitching at hem edge of skirt and topstitch ruffle in place, using a zig-zag stitch.
- 10: Insert elastic in casing. Overlap the end 1” and stitch together. Topstitch casing closed.
Lady Bug machine embroidery applique design is available at
Garden of Daisies Embroidery.